There are a lot of things that can add stress to your life, but your fitness journey shouldn’t be one of them. In fact, studies have confirmed that exercise itself can help prevent or reduce stress. Sure, everyone experiences down days or minor setbacks. It’s how you deal with those challenges that make a difference in your results.
Here are a few suggestions to help you conquer your stress and move forward to a positive outcome.
Lean on your Curves coach
One of the amazing benefits of going to Curves is having your Curves coach there with you at every workout. She knows you and understands the obstacles and challenges you’re working to overcome. Talk to her. Let her know when you’re feeling a little down or when your motivation is starting to wane. She’s an expert at identifying vulnerable areas and knows what to do to get you back on your happy track.
Draw motivation from your Curves family
You already know that the Curves environment is a supportive and positive community. Sometimes all it takes to turn around an uninspired mood is to chat up your workout buddies while you’re breezing through your Curves routine. Share the challenges of your day with them and before you know it you’ll feel the day’s stresses melting away.
10 more simple ways to conquer stress:
1. Slow down! We have a tendency to do many things in a rushed manner, even when we’re not really short on time.
2. Breathe deeply. Take a two-minute timeout to close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
3. Take a bubble bath. Skip the shower at least once a week and soak in a warm tub instead.
4. Meditate. Turn down the lights, burn some incense, put on a CD of ocean waves and lose yourself for half an hour.
5. Stay hydrated. Dehydration can increase cortisone levels which in turn, can increase stress.
6. Laugh! Don’t take yourself so seriously. You should be laughing several times every day.
7. Go to your happy place. Close your eyes and imagine your favorite vacation spot or the place where you first fell in love.
8. Put up a mirror where you hang out most often. Look into it often and smile.
9. Dance! Alone, with friends, with your dog…it doesn’t matter. Dancing always makes us feel good.
10. Stop worrying about what can go wrong and get excited about what can go right!
It doesn’t matter what method you use to get rid of stress…just do what works best for you. Like any other bad habit, kicking stress out of your life may take some time. Be patient, be persistent and be positive!